CHOPICALQUI 6354 m.s.n.m.
DIFFICULTY: hard, Experience required
DURATION: 4 Days
SEASON: From May to September
LOCATION: Cordillera Blanca
AVARAGE TEMPERATURE: During the day between 13° C to 23° C During the night between -5°C to -2°C and on the top -10°C
After the breakfast in the Hotel you will aboard the private bus to go along the Callejón de Huaylas in the north side of Huaraz, after driving for 2 hours approx. You have to register in the National Park Control, passing the Llanganuco lakes Chinancocha and Orconcocha, till curva de chopicallqui where you have lunch, then start hiking up for 30 minutes to get the base camp but you must continue the journey until the Morraine camp, place where the campsite will be set up.
* 3 hours drive / 4 – 5 hours walk
After the breakfast, climb up moraine rock for 1½ hours before reaching the glacier. Then 3 to 4 hours of steady climbing on up to 30 deg. of crevassed snow slopes which you negotiate carefully to avoid crevasses before reaching Camp 1, on snow, at 5350m
*3-4 hours walk in the glacier
Summit attempt. This is the most important day and a little bit hard to climb. Departure at 1:00 am after a light breakfast, climbing for about 5 to 6 hours to the summit (6,354m). The first 2 to 3 hours are steady climbing. There are crevasses and seracs to avoid as you climb 30 to 50 deg. slopes to the summit shoulder. From the summit shoulder the difficulty of climbing is mixed with some easy 45 deg. slopes to sections of steep up to 85 deg. (technical climbing). On the way we will find steep pieces where to climb cooperating with your leader guide so after enjoying the views of Huascaran, Huandoy, Contrahierba, Pisco, Chacraraju mountain from the summit you descend back by climbing down and abseiling to Camp1 where the cook will be waiting with hot drinks and something to eat,
*10 to 13 hours for this day.
Last breakfast in the Moraine Camp of Chopicalqui and descend to the Base Camp for about 1 hour half, continue walking down to the highway called Curva de Chopicalqui, where our vehile awaits for you, from here to Yungay will take 2 hours, along this travel you pass the Llanganuco lake again.
* 2-3 hours walk down / 3 hours drive back to Huaraz
$ 1 999.99 per person
2 – 3 PARTICIPANTS
$ 1 699.99 per person
4 – 5 PARTICIPANTS
$ 1 399.99 per person
6- 8 PARTICIPANTS
$ 1 199.99 per person
- 3 Meals per day (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner)
*vegetarian option available
- Snack: fresh fruit, chocolates, crackers, cookies, sweet drinks.
- Certificated UIAGM mountain guide (Speaks English/Spanglish)
- North face tent (04 season)
- Private transport
- Boiled water to fill your bottle every day.
- Group First aid kit
- Rope for climbing
- Snow peaks
- Ice cruise
- Kitchen utensils such as: stove, pots, dishes, cups, gas, etc.
- International flights to Lima / Peru
- Transfer – Airport/hotel/airport /bus station/Hotel – Lima
- health insurance and travel accidents
- Bus ticket Lima – Huaraz and Huaraz – Lima
- Bank transaction fee not included in total
- lost luggage
- Not mentioned food (restaurants in Huaraz and Lima) and beverages
- Luggage insurance and trip cancellation
- Personal expenses
- Personal climbing gear such as sleeping bag, mattress, crampons, boots, harness, carabiners, ice axes, helmet, head lamp, gloves, etc)
- Huascaran National Park entrance fee (150 soles)
- First day breakfast
- Hotel in Huaraz.
- Hiking boots
- Trekking socks (synthetic fibers)
- Sun hat
- Hat for cold weather (fleece or other)
- Microfiber and thermal shirts
- Trekking pants
- Linen bath
- Day Backpack 35 – 40 liters
- Waterproof jacket (Gore-Tex or other) seasonal
- Waterproof Pant (Gore-Tex or other) seasonal
- Waterproof Layer seasonal
- Headlamp (with extra batteries and bulbs)
- Sunscreen (lips and skin)
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Photographic Material
- Hiking poles
- Toilet Paper.